Click on the icons above to share this blogpost with your friends!
50 questions to ask your wedding venue
Before you go on site visits to several venues it’s important to have a detailed list of questions so you can ensure that you are picking the right venue for you. Yes, we’ve listed 50 questions here, but we have broken them down into smaller categories for you to make this easier to read.
Feel free to add any additional questions for your wedding such as ‘’Can my dog be the ring bearer in the ceremony?’’ by dropping us an E-MAIL.
During your venue visit, keep with you your planning notebook, planning binder and any other notes you may have and have something to write on.
Here we go!
- What dates are available for the month I am considering? (TIP: some venues offer discounts for the off season or during the week ceremonies. Check out our blogpost “Winter Wedding in Austria“).
- How many people can this location accommodate?
- What is the rental fee and what’s included in that price?
- How many hours does the rental fee include, and if we want to stay longer is there an overtime charge?
- How much is the deposit? When is it due and is it refundable?
- What’s the payment plan for the entire bill? What forms of payment do you accept?
- Can you have both the ceremony and the reception there? Is there an additional cost?
- Are there changing areas for the bride, groom and wedding party? Are they well decorated or do you need to bring your own decorations?
- Can you have the rehearsal dinner here? What about a morning-after brunch?
- How much time is allocated for the rehearsal?
- What’s the cancellation policy?
- What’s your weather contingency plan for outdoor spaces?
- Do you have liability insurance?
Food + Drinks
- Do you have an in-house caterer or a list of preferred caterers, or do I need to provide my own?
- If I hire my own caterer, is there a kitchen available for them?
- Is there a food and drink minimum?
- What’s the tax and service charge?
- Can we do a food tasting before we finalize our menu selection? Does it cost extra?
- Are tables, linens, chairs, plates, silverware, and glassware provided, or will I have to rent them myself or get them through my caterer?
- Can I bring a cake from an outside baker or do I have to use a cake made on site?
- Is there a cake-cutting fee? If I use a cake made on site is the fee waived?
- Can we bring our own wine, beer or champagne? What about hard liquor?
- Is there a corkage fee?
- Are you a licensed to provide alcohol service?
- How is alcohol priced, and is there a bar minimum?
- Are there additional charges for bar staff?
Decor + Rentals
- Are we allowed to bring our own decorations?
- Do you have an inventory of decor (lighting, candle holders, vases, etc), can we borrow them?
- Can we move things around or do we have to leave everything as is?
- Can we use candles/confetti/sparklers/fireworks/lawn games or other dangerous things here?
- Do you provide heaters and or umbrellas for the outdoor spaces?
- Do you have signage or other aids to direct guests to my event?
Vendors + Staffing
- Can we hire our own vendors or is there a preferred vendor list we need to stick to?
- Do you offer on-site coordination? What services are included?
- Can the venue accommodate a DJ or live Band?
- What is the security of the venue?
- Is there a coat check?
- What time can our vendors start setting up on the day of the wedding?
- Does the venue provide assistance getting gifts and or decor back to the designated car or hotel room after the wedding?
- Is there a separate space for cocktail hour?
- Do you have a sound system or microphones for speeches?
- Are there any noise restrictions?
- Is there parking on site and if so, is it free? If not, where will our guests park?
- Are cabs or uber easily accessible from the venue?
- If a shuttle service is needed, can you assist with setting it up?
- How many restrooms are there? (TIP: At least 4 restrooms per 100 people).
- Do you offer accommodations? If so, do you offer a discount for booking multiple rooms?
- If no accommodations are available, what are the nearest hotels to the venue?
- Is the venue handicap accessible?
- Do you have a recycling policy? We like to think about the environment 🙂
We hope that you found these questions helpful! In case you haven´t decided on a wedding venue yet, check out our recent blogpost “Our TOP 5 Wedding Venues in Vienna and Lower Austria 2019” where we give useful information and recommendations about our absolute favourite wedding venues in Austria!
Also, make sure to sign up for our NEWSLETTER below so we can keep you up to date with everything about weddings!
Ryan from Surfin Birds